Cotton gamp

In May, I got together with some friends to repeat a cotton gamp experiment. In the original attempt, we had not set the iron in chalk as we should have, and the iron migrated throughout the piece. The cotton was mordanted with a recipe from Liles, the iron painted on in strips with different % of iron and then set with chalk, the dyes were thickened with gum trag and painted on in a grid fashion. After all of the painting was finished, the cloth was heat set. It was discovered part way through the process that one of the grids (we were doing multiples) had not been mordanted. I took this piece, let it dry, and then painted the back with a solution of 20% alum acetate (20 grams of alum acetate/100 ml of water. This was dried outside (it dried in a day) and then I soaked it in chalk (20 grams/100 ml of water). I heat set it in the sun and then rinsed it out. The yellow dyes and logwood bled a little when I painted it with the mordant solution – otherwise there wasn’t a lot of rinse out.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: